Advance your career in Health IT
Now accepting scholarship applications for 2021-2022!
The Wisconsin HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) Chapter (http://wi.himsschapter.org/) is proud to announce the opportunity for you to earn a $2,000 scholarship. This annual scholarship is designed to support dedicated students as they pursue a degree in a Healthcare Information and Management Systems-related program.
In addition to the scholarship money, the award recipient will be entrusted a valuable opportunity to network and work with industry leaders through a one-year seat on the Governing Board of the Wisconsin HIMSS Chapter. If the recipient is not yet a HIMSS member through the school or employer, a free, one-year student membership to the Wisconsin HIMSS Chapter can be reimbursed after the recipient joins HIMSS as a student member. Please see instructions for reimbursement at the end of this letter.
In the application narrative, please include the following required elements:
- Biographical information. Applications must include the applicant’s full name, institution presently attending, major of study related to health IT, expected graduation date, preferred email, and phone number.
- Evidence of Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher – please clearly indicate your current cumulative GPA, or the cumulative GPA from the previous institution or degree if you are starting a degree program in the fall of 2020. Add a photo or electronic copy of the transcript if available.
- 500-word essay detailing your experience in healthcare thus far and why you are passionate about pursuing a career in Healthcare IT. Describe your career goals, and why this scholarship opportunity would benefit you.
- A stated and executed commitment to volunteering with the WI HIMSS Chapter. The scholarship recipient agrees to participate with the volunteer group that organizes and executes the annual WI HIMSS Spring Leadership conference. Participation will occur from Jan – May and require monthly participation on calls and completion of assigned tasks between monthly syncs. Day of conference volunteer participation is expected, barring unforeseen circumstances. The conference will be a good avenue to better understand the value of HIMSS membership and to participate and network with WI HIMSS members.
- Evidence of 20-30 hours of verified volunteer experience in the past 12 months or proof of service in a volunteer leadership role: Examples include – Team Captain/Leadership role in athletics; Leadership role within a Fraternity or Sorority; Leadership role in a University Club, student organization, etc.
Please submit the completed application narrative and additional documents in Microsoft Word or Acrobat PDF format, and send any questions to the Director of Students of Wisconsin HIMSS Chapter at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submitting an application is September 1, 2021. The award will be announced on October 1, 2021.
For more information, please visit: http://wi.himsschapter.org/student-affairs-and-scholarships.
Best of luck,
Dr. Roger Yin, CPHIMS, CISA, CISM, GSNA, CGEIT, ITIL-F
Director of Student Affairs, Wisconsin HIMSS Chapter
Professor of IT, College of Business and Economics, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
The following are the steps for gaining membership to WI HIMSS and requesting reimbursement from the WI Chapter.
- First, you must pay for your student membership in the amount of $30 at: https://www.himss.org/student-membership-30.
- After you obtain a receipt of your student membership payment, contact our Chapter Treasurer Larry Dux to provide him a photocopy via email at email@example.com (and copy me at: YINL@uww.edu) or by his work phone: 262-257-3808.
- Once Mr. Dux receives a copy of the receipt from HIMSS and your mailing address, he can then send you a check accordingly.
Check Out the $500 Scholarship at Debt.com!
The Debt.com Scholarship for Aggressive Scholarship Applicants doesn't reward the student with the highest GPA, or who volunteered the most or traveled the farthest. We give $500 every two months to the hardest-working student. They've applied for other scholarships, but they don't have many hours to write long essays and secure detailed references. So Debt.com makes it easy to apply: Just forward acknowledgments that you've applied for other scholarships and write a short letter explaining how you work hard to get through school. That's it. There's not even a minimum amount of scholarships you need to apply for. We've been doing this for five years now, so we can easily recognize those students who get their hands dirty because no one gave them a leg up.
The Debt.com scholarship can be found at https://www.debt.com/scholarship.
HIMSS Student Membership Only $30 Annually!
Advance your career in Health IT! The HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) student membership (http://wi.himsschapter.org/) is designed to enable students studying healthcare information technology-related degrees to experience many benefits that HIMSS full professional members are enjoying at a much discount rate.
The following includes a number of key benefits of HIMSS student membership:
- HIMSS Career Resources Assist Your Professional Development: https://www.himss.org/health-it-career-services
- Access Member-Only Content on HIMSS.org
- Experience Benefits of Regular Membership
- Receive Membership Pricing on Conferences, Publications, and eLearning Academy
See More Information About HIMSS Student Membership At: https://www.himss.org/membership/student